ROCK CLIMBING SHOE REPAIR INFO SHEET
Rock Climbing shoes
eventually need one of two common repair jobs.
Climbing shoes use sticky rubber which is
not durable by nature.
- Half soles replace the rubber on the bottom of the
shoe, from the arch of the foot to the end of the toe."Full soles" are
rarely needed, since most the wear on climbing shoes occurs in the ball
to toe region of the shoe.
- Rand repair replaces the worn section of the rand.
(The "rand" is all the rubber that is above the sole, around the sides,
back and in front of the toe. The rand is also what the soles are bonded to
and must be strong to render a quality resole.)
A WORST CASE PICTORIAL WITH GREAT RESULTS
EVALUATING YOUR CLIMBING SHOES
SOLES (the rubber on the bottom of the shoe)
Most sole and rand problems will be seen in the forefoot (TOE)
RANDS (rand repairs reqiure resoling)
- Resole when you feel less confident in the holding power
of your shoes. Rounded, thin edges, or old rubber may cause this. Resole before
you develop holes, to prevent damage to the rand or shoe.
- Inspect the forefoot for holes . A hole in the rubber (yes
even a "pin hole") means you need rand repairs.
- Visually check the front edge where the soles are thinnest.
When the sole is worn thin and has receded in towards the center of the shoe
from it's original line, you have been climbing on the rand and need rand
- With your thumb, press the rands, above where the rand and
sole meet, if you feel creasing or soft spots the rand needs repair.
OTHER COMMON REPAIRS (may
be extra charge - specify what you expect)
- Cementing loose rubber on the rest of the shoe.
- Look inside the shoe to see if the board is broken or detached.
- Pull tabs need to be stitched or replaced.
- Uppers need patching or stitching or lace closure repairs.
|We recommend you ask us to "repair as needed".
We will call you if the shoes are not worth repair, or exceed charges other
than standard half soles and rands. You may write in a max dollar limit on
the order form.
AVAILABLE by MAIL ORDER, or CALL FOR APPOINTMENT.